Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Feeling Sorry for Myself

I guess one way to get over feeling sorry for yourself is to encounter someone else who is worse off than you are.
I was just watching an interview on TV, with a girl who had her arm bitten off by a shark. The inspiring thing about her was that she seemed incredibly unfazed! She was just smiling and laughing and telling her story, and was carrying on her life as normal.
I know that her problem is completely different to mine, but it was so inspiring to me. The main thing I’ve been having trouble coming to grips with is the fact that my disease is here for the rest of my life. That girl’s missing arm, well heck, that’s a big thing to have missing for the rest of your life. And she was just totally rolling with it. That’s a cool thing about being a kid (she was 13) – you just accept a lot of bad stuff without thinking too hard about it.
But, hey, being 34 doesn’t give me permission to wallow in self-pity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home