Monday, March 07, 2005

The Biopsy Wasn't So Bad

The biopsy was a success. That is, there was no internal bleeding or punctured lungs...
Seriously though, it was a lot more pleasant than I expected. I was unnecessarily nervous about it in the first place.
I was in the hospital from 8am until 2pm. The biopsy itself only took about two seconds. The rest of the time was taken up by the preparations beforehand (having an ultrasound to pinpoint the best location, filling out forms, waiting for the doctor) and the four hours of hanging about afterwards.
I’m so glad that my precious husband was allowed to come in with me for both the ultrasound and the biopsy. The little things he did to support me were invaluable. Like complimenting me on how much I suited my blue hospital gown.
I had the nicest nurse that has ever lived. She held my hand, stroked my wrist and kept telling me I was "doing well". I must say, I was quite glad to have her there when the doctor was sticking that drip needle into my hand! YEEEOOOOW! And then again when he injected the anaesthetic into my side! He had previously mentioned that some people faint when he does that stuff, and I can see why.
When he did the biopsy, it was the weirdest sensation, and it’s hard to describe how it felt. It’s kind of like getting hit really hard in the side, by a golf ball or something, and it knocks the stuffing out of you for a second. I presume what I felt was the needle skimming past my lung to get to my liver. It didn’t hurt of course, because of the anaesthetic. But it was like, "Ugh. What hit me?"
The next thing I knew, the doctor was showing me a jar containing a little brown wormy thing. A piece of my very own liver! I was ordered to roll onto my right side and stay like that for four hours. I had brought a book (thanks to good advice posted on my blog) but I also had hubby to talk to, which was nice.
Then the pain started. Not in my liver, but in my shoulder, which is what the doctor had said would happen. It’s one of those phenomena where the brain, for all its cleverness, can’t tell the difference between the liver and the shoulder. But it wasn’t long before my brain figured out that it could make my shoulder AND my liver hurt at the same time. Luckily, my nurse came to the rescue with some stronger-than-morphine stuff, which she pumped into my hand-drip. That immediately killed the conversation as well as the pain.
So that’s it really. I lay there for four hours, chatted to hubby, eavesdropped on other patient’s conversations, and then the nurse came and sat me up and gave me a cup of tea and a sandwich. By the time they kicked me out, I had become quite comfortable and didn’t really want to leave!
I would like to say a HUGE thanks to everyone who posted encouraging comments on my blog. The ironic thing is that I haven’t told any of my friends or family about my situation. The only person who knows is my husband. So it’s mind-blowing to have total strangers reading my blog and giving me all the encouragement that I need.
Cyber hugs and kisses to you all.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your positive biopsy experience! Glad that it went well for you!

Sue, Toronto

4:26 pm  
Blogger Tink said...

Hi Filosofette...glad it went ok. I had mine 2 weeks ago and had practically the same experience. I start my tx on April 4th and have to say that, like you, I am just so glad to have all those other Bloggers out there keeping an eye on me. It is so encouraging to know that you are not alone. I too have only told a couple of close friends apart from my hubby. I only told my dad, who lives with us, last weekend as I saw no point in worrying him. I live on an island so have decided to 'come clean' when I start tx as I expect it will 'leak' out in one way or another. Even my dad had noticed that I'd given up drinking wine....and become practically a vegetarian overnight! I am not too concerned about people knowing - I think I have come to terms with it and ultimately it will prove who my real friends are. I am on www.otherc/blogspot.com if you want to keep in touch. It's nice to be sharing our HepC journey....
very best wishes
Tink

7:01 am  
Blogger Tink said...

Hi Filosofette...glad it went ok. I had mine 2 weeks ago and had practically the same experience. I start my tx on April 4th and have to say that, like you, I am just so glad to have all those other Bloggers out there keeping an eye on me. It is so encouraging to know that you are not alone. I too have only told a couple of close friends apart from my hubby. I only told my dad, who lives with us, last weekend as I saw no point in worrying him. I live on an island so have decided to 'come clean' when I start tx as I expect it will 'leak' out in one way or another. Even my dad had noticed that I'd given up drinking wine....and become practically a vegetarian overnight! I am not too concerned about people knowing - I think I have come to terms with it and ultimately it will prove who my real friends are. I am on www.otherc/blogspot.com if you want to keep in touch. It's nice to be sharing our HepC journey....
very best wishes
Tink

7:01 am  
Blogger Wendy Kay said...

Hi Filosofette,
Im glad your biopsy went well and glad to see you are blogging again. I am in my 2nd week of treatment now and am finding that it is not as bad as I had feared. Hope it's OK if I put a link to your blog from mine. Mine is at:
http://feelingpositive.blogspot.com
Wendy
London UK

9:04 pm  
Blogger MartinB said...

Hi Filosofette,
Glad to hear it all went well, and the book tip was useful! Hope the results are good. I'm slightly jealous as all my biopsies have been with local anaesthetic only, and a six hour enforced recovery - 2 hours on your side followed by 4 on your back. Medicine is obviously more advanced in NZ!
Know what you mean about trying to describe the sensation - a bit like being kicked from the inside?
Best wishes,
Martin, UK

4:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your biopsy sounds very straightforward. I suspect a more advanced procedure exists - and from other UK comments, I think it exists closer than I know! For mine, I was admitted to hospital at 10 am. I was placed on a drip for 2 hours (low platelets I seem to remember), before having a very painless biopsy. I then had to spend 12 (yes 12) hours lying absolutely flat on my back, not allowed to turn, wriggle or even have my head raised. It will take a long time to forget lying there with wet hair and neck (try drinking from a horizontal position - it's impossible!), and desperate to relieve my aching bladder (maybe it's just me, but things simply don't work while horizontal).

I suppose the bottom line is that the biopsy was carried out and gave the necessary information. Intriguing though how experiences vary.

12:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad your biopsy went well. I've had two so far and no problem with either. My first one, five years ago, the doctor walked over, did something to my side (local anesthesia, I thought) and walked away. I asked, "are you going to do the biopsy now?" He replied, "I just did it."

Only slightly embarrassed was I...

10:07 am  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Filosofette, I hope you don't mind that I've linked you in a blog I've started (suetoronto.blogspot.com) - you were one of the first blogs I found when my treatment started and it was so great to know you were out there (and still is, of course)! Hope you're doing well! Sue

12:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home