Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Last Injection (wow!)

Last night I gave myself my very last injection... ever! I joked to my husband that this is the last injection I'll need until I'm diagnosed with the next disease. It was a bad joke, but a good insight into the fear that I've harboured since finding out I had Hepatitis C.
Now I just have a week's worth of pills to get through, then I'm free from the burden of taking my medication. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to me after I finish the medication. I wonder how long it will take for my body to get over the effects. I'm sure there is a period of withdrawal, and I'm sure that's not pleasant. I'm curious, though, to see how long the withdrawal period lasts. I've heard stories of people still feeling fatigue and brain-fog up to nine months after they stop the treatment. I certainly hope it doesn't take me that long! I suspect that it will be easier for me, since I haven't had really bad side-effects throughout the treatment.
In fact, the worst side effects showed up right at the end of treatment. I felt my most fatigued and in a worse mood right at the end. In fact, I could totally fall asleep right now!
My dilemma now is how to handle coming off treatment. I don't want to beat myself up if I'm not feeling instantly well and getting on with my life. But I also don't want to sit around feeling sorry for myself and not get on with life. Once again, it's going to be that tricky balance between recognising what's really going on and what's all in my mind!!

4 Comments:

Blogger carol said...

Great news, well done.

7:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you GO !!!! I have 2 months left out of 18. Congratulations !!!

3:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please keep us informed about
after treatment - what happens,
how you do, etc. I am about
to start treatment and have found
your blog helpful.

7:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comment that "....it's going to be that tricky balance between recognising what's really going on and what's all in my mind!!" is spot on. That's one of the big problems I have, I'm having treatment for the 2nd time (non-responder first time around) and the real side-effects and a natural despondency at what I know lies ahead are hard to disentangle. It has to be done though, a positive attitude is important.

11:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home